The Decorative Power Of Turkish Oushak Rugs
If you are looking for a way to add some elegance, warmth and charm to your home, you might want to consider investing in an antique Oushak rug. These rugs are not only beautiful and durable, but also have a rich history and cultural significance that make them stand out among other types of carpets.
What are Oushak Rugs?
Oushak rugs are a type of Turkish rug that originated in the city of Ushak (also spelled Oushak) in western Anatolia. Ushak was one of the major centers of carpet weaving in the Ottoman Empire from the 15th to the 19th centuries. Oushak rugs are known for their distinctive style, which features large-scale floral and geometric motifs, soft colors, silky wool and angora pile, and a lustrous appearance.
Oushak rugs were highly prized by both Turkish and European nobility, as well as by collectors and connoisseurs around the world. They were often depicted in paintings by famous artists such as Hans Holbein, Lorenzo Lotto and Vermeer. Oushak rugs were also exported to many countries, especially during the 16th and 17th centuries when they were in high demand by the Safavid dynasty in Persia and the Mughal empire in India.
Why Choose an Antique Oushak Rug?
Antique oushak rugs have many advantages over modern or synthetic carpets. Here are some of them:
- Antique oushak rugs are unique and authentic. Each rug is hand-knotted by skilled artisans using natural materials such as wool, cotton and silk. No two rugs are exactly alike, which gives them a character and personality that cannot be replicated by machines.
- Antique oushak rugs are durable and resilient. They can last for generations if properly cared for. They can withstand wear and tear, stains, spills, sunlight and moisture better than most other types of carpets. They also age gracefully, developing a patina that enhances their beauty over time.
- Antique oushak rugs are versatile and adaptable. They can suit any style of decor, from traditional to contemporary, from formal to casual. They can also be used in any room of the house, from living rooms to bedrooms, from dining rooms to hallways. They can create a focal point or blend in harmoniously with other elements.
- Antique oushak rugs are valuable and collectible. They are considered as works of art that reflect the history and culture of their origin. They can appreciate in value over time if kept in good condition. They can also be passed down as family heirlooms or sold as investments.
How to Decorate with an Antique Oushak Rug?
There are many ways to decorate with an antique oushak rug depending on your personal taste and preference. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Choose a color scheme that complements your rug. Oushak rugs typically have soft pastel shades such as ivory, beige, pink, blue or green. You can either match these colors with your furniture and accessories or contrast them with darker or brighter hues for more drama.
- Choose a size that fits your space well. Oushak rugs come in various sizes ranging from small mats to large area rugs. You can either cover most of your floor with a big rug or leave some space around it for more definition.
- Choose a placement that showcases your rug's beauty. You can either center your rug under your main furniture piece such as a sofa or a bed or offset it slightly for more interest.
Antique Oushak rugs are more than just carpets; they are treasures that can transform any space into a cozy, elegant and inviting home.
They have decorative power that stems from their quality, craftsmanship, history and culture.
An Antique Oushak rug will add some sophistication, warmth and charm to your home,
Do not hesitate to contact us for suggestions and advice.